When you are searching for a job, one of the most effective ways to entice a hiring manager or recruiter is by having a strong cover letter. Writing an informative, interesting cover letter can demonstrate your communication skills and signify that you would be a benefit to their company. Read over our software testing cover letter example and the following do’s and don’ts for ideas on crafting your own outstanding cover letter.
- Do talk about ways you could benefit the company. Especially with software testing, mentioning special areas of skill or experience may help a hiring manager decide if you are the best candidate to meet the company’s needs.
- Don’t overemphasize your education or degrees. Most hiring managers care more about your previous experience and relevant skills.
- Do take advantage of your cover letter to highlight additional accomplishments and give more details about important points you didn’t have room for on your resume.
- Don’t distribute the same cover letter to every job you apply for. Tailoring your cover letter to each company can demonstrate your interest in and desire to work for that specific company.
Software Testing Advice
If you’re searching or a job that uses your software testing skills, you’ll need a cover letter that showcases your experience and abilities. The cover letter examples below can give you a great idea what your software testing cover letter should look like. Use these cover letter examples as a starting point, then update them with your own content to fit your needs. Choose from multiple design options, and begin building your cover letter now.
Cover Letter Tips for Software Testing
No matter what industry you are in or what career you are hoping to land, there are certain job search rules that will make your hunt easier. If you are browsing jobs as a Software Testing, you will want to keep the following list of job hunting tips in mind.
1. Creativity and persistence are two of the most awarded characteristics in the job market today. Show your creativity by finding unique places to look for jobs, and show your persistence by following up diligently with hiring managers.
2. Never enter into a job hunt without a plan of attack. The more you know about what your end career goal is, what steps you are going to take to get there and how to deal with the obstacles that come your way, the better prepared you will be.
3. Keep in mind that job hunts are statistically proven to be longer in this post-recession economy. Don’t get your hopes up for a quick job search, only to be disappointed when it takes longer than you thought.
4. Amp up your social media and online networking efforts, using virtual resources like online job postings and professional networking groups to get your name out there.
5. Keep abreast of current news and affairs in your industry by reading relevant publications, newsletters and blogs for your field. You may even stumble across job leads as you read.
Software Testing Job Seeking Tips
One thing that those who are seeking jobs as a Software Testing should keep in mind is that no matter what industry you are in, what career phase you are at or what position you are aiming for, your cover letter is one of your most important tools. Here are some tips for making your cover letter the best in show.
1. Optional sections that you may want to consider including in your cover letter are: certifications, travel and languages, licenses, objective statement, keyword summary and strengths.
2. While underlining tends to add unnecessary clutter to a cover letter, do feel free to use bold and italics to emphasize certain words or sections of text. However, never use more than two font types.
3. It’s not necessary to include your home or mailing address on a cover letter anymore, since identity theft incidents are on the rise.
4. Don’t let the horror stories of skewed cover letter formatting scare you off from submitting yours online. Instead, simply make sure your cover letter is available in a variety of stable electronic formats, so that you can submit it in whatever format is requested of you.
5. Job experience should be listed in the following order: job title, company name, city, state and employment dates. A company description is optional.
Software Developer Cover Letter and Resume Example
If you are applying for a job as a software developer, you will likely need to send a cover letter along with your resume submission.
Think of your cover letter as a place to showcase your most relevant skills. For instance, if the job calls for experience in a certain programming language, you can mention your certification or projects you have built using that language. Read through the job description carefully to get a sense of which of your skills and experiences will be most important to hiring managers.
Companies may be interested in how you work with others and how you would fit in with the company culture, in addition to your coding knowledge. A cover letter also offers you an opportunity to explain why you are interested in this particular position, at this particular company.
Read on for an example of a cover letter for a software developer position. The applicant's resume is below — note how the cover letter doesn't duplicate the resume. Instead, it highlights important aspects that relate to the job at hand. Use this sample cover letter as inspiration while crafting your own letter.
Software Developer Cover Letter Example
Your City, State, Zip Code
Your Phone Number
City, State, Zip Code
Dear HR Manager:
This letter is to express my interest in your posting on Dice.com for an experienced Software Developer. With a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Master’s degree in Information Technology, and hands-on experience using .Net languages to create and implement software applications, I am confident I will be an asset to your organization.
I enjoy being challenged and engaging with projects that require me to work outside my comfort and knowledge set, as continuing to learn new languages and development techniques are important to me and the success of your organization.
Your listed requirements closely match my background and skills. A few I would like to highlight that would enable me to contribute to your bottom line are:
- Highly skilled in designing, testing, and developing software
- Thorough understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Knowledgeable of back-end development best practices
- Hands-on software troubleshooting experience
- Proven track record of proper documentation for future maintenance and upgrades
I’ve attached a copy of my resume that details my projects and experience in software development. I can be reached anytime via my cell phone, 555-555-5555 or via email at email@example.com.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to speaking with you about this opportunity.
Your Signature (hard copy letter)
Sending an Email Cover Letter
If you're sending your cover letter via email, list your name and the job title in the subject line of the email message:
Subject: Software Developer Position - Your Name
Include your contact information in your email signature, and don't list the employer contact information. Start your email message with the salutation. Here's how to format an email cover letter and more details on sending an email cover letter.
Software Developer Resume Example
Home 555-555-5555 | Cell 555-123-4567
567 North Street
Boston, MA 02108
Hero Tech, SoftwareDeveloper
June 20XX - Present
Software Developer on the HeroTech.Net technology team.
- Development updates to reporting engine using VB.net and ASP.NET.
- Support releases developed in ASP.
- Assist in the refinement of software developing methodology used throughout the company.
ABC Associates, Software Engineer
October 20XX - June 20XX
Software Engineer/Project Manager on the San Manager team. Duties included:
- Developing the latest release of San Manager using C++ and Java.
- Assisting in the framework design of San Manager using J2EE technologies.
- Managing development work done in our India Tech Center.
ABC Associates, Bootcamp
June 20XX - September 20XX
Member of the ABC Associates bootcamp program — an intensive 3-month leadership, management, and development training program for choice software engineers — covering advanced topics in software engineering, project management, and leadership training.
XYZ Polytechnic Institute, Boston, MA
Master of Science – Information Technology
XYZ Polytechnic Institute, Boston, MA
Bachelor of Science - Computer Science
Languages: C++, Java, C, .Net, SQL
Applications: MS Visual Studio, Eclipse
Application Server: JBoss, Tomcat
Operating Systems: Windows, Unix, Linux
Database Systems: SQL Server, MySQL, Ingres
Certifications: CCNA, Unicenter Certified Engineer
Read More: Cover Letter Examples and Writing Tips | Resume Examples and Writing Tips