Transcultural Nursing Basic Concepts and Case Studies
This website was created to share with nurses and other healthcare professionals experiences and thoughts concerning the complexities involved in caring for people from diverse cultural backgrounds. This website provides information about cultural behaviors and the need to understand people's actions from their own cultural perspective in health and illness. The learning resource includes basic concepts and includes case studies for the: 1) Hispanic community; 2) Middle Eastern community; 3) Deaf community; 4) Asian community; 4) African American community; and 5) Migrant workers. There is information about cultural competence, third world nursing, and an extensive reference list.
Author: Victor Fernandez RN and Kathy Fernandez RN
- Science and Technology / Health Sciences / Nursing
- Workforce Development / Technical Allied Health / Therapeutic Services
View More Information about the Course on MERLOT
1. Grieco EM, Cassidy RC. Overview of race and Hispanic Origin: 2000: Census 2000 Brief [monograph on the Internet]. Washington, DC: US Census Bureau; 2001 March. [cited 2009 Jun 3]. Available from: www.census.gov/prod/2001pubs/c2kbr01-1.pdf.
2. State and county QuickFacts: Santa Clara County, California [Web page on the Internet] 2006. Washington DC: US Census Bureau;, updated 2009 May 5 [cited 2009 Jun 3]. Available from: http://quickfacts.census.gov/gfd/states/06/06085.html.
3. Briefing: missing persons: minorities in the health professions [monograph on the Internet]. Menlo Park, CA: Kaiser Family Foundation; 2004Sep 20 [cited 2009 Jun 3]. Availablefrom: www.kaisernetwork.org/health_cast/uploaded_files/092004_sullivan_diversity.pdf.
4. Clegg A. Older South Asian patient and carer perceptions of culturally sensitive care in a communityhospital setting. J Clin Nurs. 2003 Mar;12(2):283–90.[PubMed]
5. De D, Richardson J. Cultural safety: an introduction. Paediatr Nurs. 2008 Mar;20(2):39–44.[PubMed]
6. Lambert VA, Lambert CE. Nurses’ workplace stressors and coping strategies. Indian J Palliative Care. 2008 June;14(1):38–44.
7. Harle MT, Dela RF, Veloso G, Rock J, Faulkner J, Cohen MZ. The experiences of Filipino American patients with cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum. 2007 Nov;34(6):1170–5.[PubMed]
8. Juntunen A, Nikkonen M. Family support as a care resource among the Bena in the Tanzanian village of Ilembula. Vard I Norden. 2008 Sep22;28(3):24–8. Publ No. 89.
9. Liao MN, Chen MF, Chen SC, Chen PL. Healthcare and support needs of women with suspected breast cancer. J Adv Nurs. 2007 Nov;60(3):289–98. Erratum in: J Adv Nurs 2007 Dec; 60 (5):575. [PubMed]
10. Gerdner LA, Cha D, Yang D, Tripp-Reimer T. The circle of life: end-of-life care and death rituals for Hmong-American elders. J Gerontol Nurs. 2007 May;33(5):20–9. quiz 30-1. [PubMed]
11. Searle C, McInerney F. Nurses’ decision-making in pressure area management in the last 48 hours of life. Int J Palliat Nurs. 2008 Sep;14(9):432–8.[PubMed]
12. Narayanasamy A. The ACCESS model: a transcultural nursing practice framework. Br J Nurs. 2002 May 9-22;11(9):643–650.[PubMed]
13. Sherer JL. Crossing cultures: hospitals begin breaking down the barriers to care. Hospitals. 1993 May20;67(10):29–31.
14. Parrone J, Sedrl D, Donaubauer C, Phillips M, Miller M. Charting the7 c's of cultural change affecting foreign nurses: competency, communication, consistency, cooperation, customs, conformity and courage. J Cult Divers. 2008 Spring;15(1):3–6.[PubMed]
15. Nailon RE. Nurses’ concerns and practices with using interpreters in the care of Latino patients in the emergency department. J TranscultNurs. 2006 Apr;17(2):119–28.[PubMed]
16. Gebru K, Ahsberg E, Willman A. Nursing and medical documentation on patients’ cultural background. J Clin Nurs. 2007 Nov;16(11):2056–65.[PubMed]
17. Campinha-Bacote J. The process of cultural competence in the delivery of healthcare services: a culturally competent model of care. Cincinnati, OH: Transcultural C. A. R. E. Associates; 2003.
18. Giger JN, Davidhizar RE, editors. Transcultural nursing: assessment and intervention. St Louis, MO: Mosby; 1999.
19. Leininger M, McFarland MR. Transcultural nursing: concepts, theories, research, and practice. 3rd ed. NewYork: McGraw-Hill; 2002.
20. Narayanasamy A. Transcultural nursing: how do nurses respond to cultural needs? Br J Nurs. 2003 Feb 13-26;12(3):185–94.[PubMed]